Today I finally did some exploring up there. Starr and our friend Julianne walked with me to the Nature Reserve gate and left me there. I took off to explore the jungle trail system by myself.
The top of the ridge is at an elevation of about 5000 feet. I committed to reaching the top on a steep muddy trail through the tangled jungle, crossing down the other side, and returning around the mountain on dirt roads.
As I began my walk, the sky was cloudy and the air was heavy with tropical humidity. I began to sweat profusely as I swatted at mosquitoes and lurched up the slippery mud and rock trail.
I heard parrots and monkeys in the jungle canopy but didn't see a single one. An hour later, leaning on my bamboo walking pole, I reached the overlook at the top.
Charming miniature towns and buildings lay fanned out below me in the Valle del General. The massive cloud-topped Talamanca mountain range spread to the north.
The mid-day sun came out. Meanwhile the clouds that would become today's tropical rainstorm began to flow over the coast range in my direction.
A large blue and white fork-tailed bird glided along the ridge next to me. What is it? Beautiful it is.
I found the steep slippery trail heading down the other side and began descending through coffee and banana plantations.
When I reached the Miravalles road, I stopped into a small store to get something to drink.
"What do you have for 370 colones?" I asked. The clerk grinned and handed me a small bottle of orange juice. I gave him all the cash I had.
I started home on the road that contoured around the mountain back to Quebradas. I was hot and tired but felt gratified inside.
It's a good thing to have an adventure like this. My ties to Costa Rica became a little stronger today.
Come along with me?
| Starr and Julianne and the road up the hill. |
| Costa Rican horses are trained to march in a high-stepping choppy gait. I'll learn the name someday. A "Tope" is a parade event where a couple thousand of these horses parade all over town. |
| Meeting Jesus who works at the reserve, and fixes the road. |
| Me. |
| Looking up towards the Nature Reserve. |
| I like a lot of things. Bougainvillea is one of them. |
| Cows make contour ruts in the pasture. |
| Follow this stream and you will arrive at the center of the jungle. |
| Cars and people wade the stream. |
| Turns out Jesus has a small farm he wants to sell. Imagine that. (It seems as though all of Costa Rica is for sale - at a price.) |
| Uhh... I'll get back to you. I forgot the name. It's a red flower. |
| This is the right way. |
| The "Queen of the Night" has hallucinogenic properties. |
| A nice photo. |
| Julianne loves nature. A lot. |
| Starr felt kind of funny when she woke up. |
| That there's some jungle. |
| There are two seasons; rainy and dry. Something is always dying and something else is always flowering. |
| Black and white jungle shot. The texture of the canopy is palpable. |
| San Isidro to the south around the ridge. |
| Quebradas valley. |
| How you know when you're at the top. |
| North to the Talamanca Range. I love that word. |
| Coffee berries. |
| Costa Rica's Big Three. Coffee, bananas, and tourism. |
| Shade grown coffee using banana inter-planting. |
| I've never seen a roof like that. |
| I shared my downward path with this school boy. |
| A flawed green block wall. |
| School boys in Miravalles. I told them I like their town. They smiled. |
Hello, nice to hear and see You again.
ReplyDeleteWe are fine, Christine have a visit by our daughter and grandchild. She will be back this evening. I have one day off time and go now by train to our friend - the farmer - to have any works together.
Next time I will send You same new pictures.
Regards Christine and Gusti - "genau"