We share our jungle forest hillside with a band of white faced Capuchin monkeys.
Or rather they share it with us.
They fly through the trees every morning, feeding on the bananas and other natural fruits that they find.
Completely competent and comfortable in their natural environment. A little curious about us. Always on the move.
They run (RUN!) off the end of a branch 50 feet in the air, with arms raised in glory above their heads, flying down to "catch" a lower branch.
Using their tail to steady themselves, they always turn to check whether we saw their latest stunt.
After all these years thinking of "forest animals", I find that I cannot think of these little men-in-the-woods as animals.
They are more than that, and my heart goes out to them.
Have a look at our little YouTube monkey video by clicking
here:
 |
| Our screened porch looks out on a mesmerizing jungle hillside. |
 |
This jungle used to be a tree-less over-grazed pasture.
The Wallaces fenced their 36 acres and left it alone for 40 years. This is the result. |
 |
| Our comfortable screened porch at "Owl House". |
 |
| Monkey spotting can be difficult in the jungle. |
 |
| There's one! |
 |
| The leaf cutter ants on the march. |
 |
At the base of the hill is a pleasant stream.
Watch out though, if it rains in the hills 10 miles away there could be a flash flood. |
 |
| "Explore!" is her other middle name. |
 |
Bananas and papayas are so common around here
I almost forget to take pictures. Hummingbirds too. |
 |
| I've been learning how to take better candid shots. |
 |
| I will learn the names of every tree. For now I'm just amazed. |
 |
| Just hanging out. |
 |
| Just hanging on. |
No comments:
Post a Comment