Friday, October 26, 2012
We Vote for Typhoid
The hazards of third world travel are many. But I've always had the illusion of immunity. I've never spent a day in the hospital nor had a serious illness.
That record still holds, but as I heard a distinct snap and lay in shocked agony on the ground with a painful sprain. I was absolutely sure that my run of luck was over. This was new territory for me, so I breathed through the pain, opened my eyes, and tested the ankle. What a close call! No bones sticking out, and the pain seemed manageable. During the next week I went through the stages of swelling and discoloration, and was able to restore normal strength and mobility.
Ecuador is not the U.S. You need to expect open holes in the sidewalks,and anticipate pushy drivers at all pedestrian crossings.
And then there are the various diseases to consider.
Hepatitis, Malaria, Yellow fever, Dengue fever, Typhoid, and the list goes on. We received all the necessary vaccinations in the US, except I was not able to take the final dose of Typhoid oral vaccine.
After visiting a jungle and eating two helpings of "street" food, I entered my 3rd straight day of splitting headaches and mounting fever. That missing vaccine dose was on my mind.
I found an excellent doctor who performed a series of lab tests, and reviewed all the results with me. All of this cost less than $40 and was completed in under 2 hours. This is what basic health care should be like.
The findings showed reduced leucocytes and platelets. There are a range of illnesses that will do that to you, including leukemia. The first doctor's conservative recommendation, was to visit a specialist or return to the US.
For a lousy 2 hours I thought I was looking at blood cancer. Starr went into high gear and we found that my exact symptoms, including the blood labs, indicated typhoid exposure.
We vote for typhoid.
We obtained the recommended antibiotic simply by telling a pharmacist what we wanted and how many doses. Once again, this system works for me. No delays, faxes, or insurance involvement, and all at a vastly reduced cost.
Today my headaches are gone and my fever is backing off. We'll stick around here for a day or two to make sure all is well before moving on.
So the stakes are high. Stay vigilant and you will enjoy your trip to the max. Get careless or think you are in the U.S. and your trip, or your health, can be ruined.
As careful as I usually am about my health - I get it, and I won't forget it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment